MAM is a community of people from all walks of life, unaffiliated with any particular religious faith, practicing mindfulness and meditation together and supporting one another toward greater presence and awareness in daily living. We are inspiring a revolution from the inside out and we hope you will join us.
Mindfulness is a way of being that involves intentional, nonjudgmental and compassionate awareness of moment by moment experience. The ability to be fully present is inherent in us all and can be cultivated with practice. MAM is dedicated to helping people nurture this state of being.
While there are plenty of wonderful religiously affiliated organizations nearby that offer mindfulness training and group practice, there are currently no nonsectarian organizations in the Kansas City metro and very few in the Midwest that are dedicated to doing so. Our intention is to provide an inclusive environment in which all people can feel welcome and comfortable.
Our mindfulness teachers are all trained by organizations such as UCSD, UCLA, UMass, Brown University, the Center for Mindful Self Compassion, Upaya Zen Center, and the Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification Program with Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield. Many have specializations in areas such as mental health and trauma informed care, yoga and mindful movement, diversity, equity and inclusion, and in working with specific populations such as children and teens, first responders, people of color, and the LGBTQIA+ community. MAM offers the area’s first and only certification program for training secular mindfulness professionals.
We are located at 11100 Ash Street, Suite 103 in Leawood, KS and we offer a wide range of practice opportunities and services. Currently we maintain professional and practice communities with shared values and attitudes, providing support, encouragement, accountability, and spreading awareness. We offer weekly group practice opportunities, monthly and annual retreats, experiential classes and courses for the general public, and continuing education programs for professionals who offer mindfulness in their services to others. An area of focus for MAM is Mindfulness Based Programs (such as MBSR, MBCT, MBRP and MSC) for the relief of mental and physical suffering. MAM is an approved continuing education provider through the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board. We welcome you visit our calendar to browse our offerings and to sign up for our monthly newsletter if you would like to be updated about upcoming events.
Mission, Vision & Values
Our mission is cultivating compassion, wellbeing and peace through mindfulness. Our vision is a kinder, more peaceful, and compassionate world. Our values include:
- Community – we understand the importance of practicing together, supporting and inspiring each other in our practice, and learning from one another by example
- Human Potential – we believe in the inherent worth, dignity, wholeness, and wisdom of all people
- Inclusion – reaching out to underrepresented populations, we work together to cultivate belonging and sustain an inclusive environment that welcomes all people regardless of race, age, physical or mental ability, gender identity, religion, political affiliation, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social or economic class, and nationality
- Compassion – recognizing the common humanity in suffering, we cultivate awareness of and concern for, and work to decrease suffering in ourselves and others. We believe that practicing mindfulness fosters resilience and increases opportunities for experiencing joy
- Generosity – we act as a resource for our members, the community, and other organizations and professionals, helping to create opportunities for the cultivation of mindfulness, especially for those for whom access or exposure might otherwise be limited
- Education – understanding that we are all beginners at some level, we emphasize lifelong learning, the importance of science, and the cultivation of wisdom
MAM is working toward Benefit (B) Corporation Certification. Certified B Corporations are businesses that acknowledge our interdependence and use business as a force for good by meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability, balancing profit and purpose. According to founder Jay Coen Gilbert, B Corporations “are bending that arc of history or that lever of economics so it bends more towards justice and inclusion and equity and the creation of a more shared and durable prosperity”.
We’d love to hear your feedback – please consider participating in our Community Engagement Survey.
Our mindfulness practice is not about vanquishing our thoughts. It’s about becoming aware of the process of thinking so that we are not in a trance—lost inside our thoughts… Training in mindfulness allows our minds to have a choice. At the moment in which you pause and realize that these thoughts are not really serving me, you have the option to come back to presence. This process of choosing becomes more powerful as you realize how thoughts can create suffering and separation. They create an “us” and a “them… We are creating a new habit—a new way of being in the world… That is revolutionary. – Tara Brach