The Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness (MAM) is a community of people from all walks of life, unaffiliated with any particular religious faith, practicing mindfulness together and supporting one another toward greater presence and awareness in daily living. We are inspiring a revolution from the inside out and we hope you will join us.
Mindfulness is a way of being that involves intentional, nonjudgmental awareness of moment by moment experience. The ability to be fully present is inherent in us all and can be cultivated with practice. MAM is dedicated to helping people nurture this state of being.
While there are plenty of wonderful religiously affiliated organizations nearby that offer mindfulness training and group practice, there are currently no nonsectarian organizations in the Kansas City metro and very few in the Midwest that are dedicated to doing so. Our intention is to provide an inclusive environment in which all people can feel welcome and comfortable.
Currently we maintain professional and practice communities with shared values and attitudes, providing support, encouragement, accountability, and spreading awareness. We offer weekly group practice opportunities in Kansas and Missouri. We also provide retreats and experiential courses for the general public and continuing education programs for professionals who offer mindfulness in their services to others. An area of focus for MAM is Mindfulness Based Programs (such as MBSR, MBCT, and MSC) for the relief of mental and physical suffering.
Mission, Vision & Values
Our mission is cultivating compassion, wellbeing and peace through mindfulness. Our vision is a kinder, more peaceful, and compassionate world. Our values include:
Community – we understand the importance of practicing together, supporting and inspiring each other in our practice, and learning from one another by example
- Potential – we believe in the inherent worth, dignity, and wisdom of all people
- Inclusion – reaching out to underrepresented populations, we work together to sustain an inclusive environment that welcomes all people regardless of race, age, physical or mental ability, gender identity, religion, political affiliation, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social or economic class, and nationality
- Compassion – recognizing the common humanity in suffering, we cultivate awareness of and concern for, and work to decrease suffering in ourselves and others. We believe that practicing mindfulness fosters resilience and increases opportunities for experiencing joy
- Generosity – we act as a resource for our members, the community, and other organizations and professionals, helping to create opportunities for the cultivation of mindfulness, especially for those for whom access or exposure might otherwise be limited
- Education – understanding that we are all beginners at some level, we emphasize lifelong learning, the importance of science, and the cultivation of wisdom
We’d love to hear your feedback – please consider participating in our Community Engagement Survey.