The Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness occasionally offers special events for our community. Check out our calendar to see what’s upcoming.
In light of the pandemic, all of our classes will be offered online until further notice. Register for the class you wish to participate in and, if its not a free class, purchase your pass. The Zoom link will be provided for you in your registration confirmation.
- FREE Mindfulness Seminars – various dates
- FREE Lunchtime Meditation – various dates
- Mindful Meal Collaborative – ongoing
- Mindful Acts of Kindness April 3rd
Mindful Acts of Kindness
Gather with the Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness (MAM) Community to send some kindness where it’s needed most. This FREE event is focused on cultivating the most benevolent of mindful attitudes such as compassion, lovingkindness, appreciative joy, equanimity, gratitude and generosity. Developing these qualities within ourselves creates a ripple effect that spreads far and wide. Together we can change the world! Any cash donations participants might like to offer will go to a local philanthropic organization of the teacher’s choosing. Bring your own cushion if possible as we have limited supplies – folding chairs are also available. Space is limited so pre-registration is required. Photos and video may be taken at this event – your attendance indicates your permission for this.
- April 3rd from 12-1 pm via Zoom: Explore your edge states and cultivate courage through compassion with Sydney Spears, PhD, Pam Hausner & Tracy Ochester, PsyD – All donations will go to the Kansas City Regional COVID-19 Response and Recovery Fund. The fund will support relief efforts in the Greater Kansas City area through deploying grants to support operations and services with a focus on critical needs, including, but not limited to 1) Housing support (rent, mortgage, utilities), 2) Food insecurity, 3) Access to health care, and 4) Other critical human services. It will support charitable organizations to both maintain their operations and services and increase their capacity to serve those impacted by COVID-19, including addressing the economic impacts on individuals and their families due to job interruption and reduction in income and benefits. To participate, please donate to the fund at https://app.mobilecause.com/f/2pqv/n?vid=6eysl and then email us your receipt. We will register you for the class.
FREE Mindfulness Seminar
Curious about mindfulness? In an effort to reach people who may otherwise not be exposed to the concepts and practices, we are offering a set of seminars FREE to anyone new to the Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness (those who have never attended any of our classes or events). Each seminar is led by trained mindfulness teachers and will include a review of the science, guidance through a sampling of practices, and an opportunity to ask questions.
Offered Sundays from 2-4 pm, these seminars will be video recorded to share with others. Your attendance indicates your permission for us to freely share your image and voice. Pre-registration is required as space is limited – click the seminar that most suits your interest or your schedule to register:
- March 29: What is Mindfulness & How Can It Help Me? with Erik Hulse & Tracy Ochester, PsyD online (registrants will receive a Zoom link)
- May 31: What is Mindfulness & How Can It Help My Relationships? with Cathan Kabrelian & Tatiana Padron (Spanish language guidance available as needed) at Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness, Leawood
- June 7: What is Mindfulness & How Can It Help Me? with Erik Hulse & Tracy Ochester, PsyD at Inner Space Yoga, 2711 Troost Ave, KCMO
- July 26: What is Mindfulness & How Can It Change the World? with Angela Caruso-Yahne, CCISM, CTSS & Julia Grimm, LMLP-T at Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness, Leawood
- July 26: Mindfulness for People of Color with Sydney Spears, PhD & Deah Robinson at Inner Space Yoga, 2711 Troost Ave, KCMO
Mindful Meal Collaborative
We invite you to become a more mindful consumer through our Mindful Meal Collaborative! Mindful eating and food preparation is a wonderful practice to take into our daily lives. We are inviting folks in our community to set aside some time to prepare and eat one meal mindfully, maybe giving a nod to the environment, personal and family health and wellbeing, non-harming of sentient beings, and/or the practicalities of daily life. Take some photos, include a recipe, and tell about your experience at email@example.com and we may choose your experience to share online with everyone!
From our Open House in 2018:
Lunchtime Virtual Mindfulness Meditation
Take a break over the lunch hour and gently “come home to yourself” with this facilitator guided virtual mindfulness meditation experience (via Zoom). Enjoy your lunch and then at 12:30, join us for a nourishing half hour community practice. We will create a space in which you might let go of all the doing, thinking and worrying, soothe body and mind, and tap into internal resources that are always available to you, regardless of what is happening in the external world. Click to register (you must sign the online waiver to participate):
- From Lockdown to Coming Home to Ourselves Mindfulness Meditation – March 27 (Friday): This meditation is focused on connecting with internal rest, calmness, and grounding.
- Compassion Cultivation Mindfulness Meditation – March 31 (Tuesday): This meditation is focused on cultivating compassion for self and others.