The Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) program is an evidence-based course that teaches participants skills needed for greater awareness in the present moment of their own distress or suffering so they can respond with kindness and wisdom. Participants learn how to treat themselves more like someone they love, befriending themselves, cultivating a gentle curiosity about inner experiences, motivating with encouragement rather than punishment, and coping with difficult emotions with greater calm and ease. The course consists of eight weekly 2.5 hour classes plus half-day retreat. This program fulfills one of the prerequisites for becoming a MSC teacher and 24 CE credits are offered for MO & KS licensed mental health professionals.
Each participant in the course will receive:
- 24 total hours of instruction in Mindful Self-Compassion, which includes carefully sequenced self-compassion exercises, guided meditations, written exercises, group discussions, and mindful movement
- Weekly handouts to reinforce the learning and provide support and reminders for home practice
- Weekly homework assignments (optional, but recommended)
- Access to all meditation audio recordings
Interested individuals are invited to contact the teacher for a free introductory phone session to make sure the course is right for you.
Upcoming Offerings: 11100 Ash St. Ste. 103 Leawood, KS 66211
- Spring 2020: MSC – Cultivate the Roots of Radical Acceptance and Restorative Resiliency with Sydney Spears, PhD, LCSW Sundays March 8 – April 26, 2020 from 5:00 – 7:30 pm + 1/2 day retreat Saturday April 11th from 9 am – 1 pm (no class on Easter Day). Deadline to enroll is Feb 28th
- Fall 2020: MSC – 8 Sundays from 3:15 – 5:45 pm with Aimee Eckhardt September 27, Oct 4, 11 (no 18), & 25, Nov 1, 8, 15, & 22 + 1/2 day retreat Saturday Nov 14 from 9 am – 1 pm. Deadline to enroll is September 18th.
Fees: (once you’ve purchased your pass, visit the calendar to register for the course of your choosing)
The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook by Kristin Neff & Christopher Germer is highly recommended (but not required) and will be referenced during the course. You can purchase it yourself, or you can purchase it from the teacher on the first day of class for $20. Just let us know that you’d like us to reserve you a copy when you register.
Make-up classes and refunds are not available for missed classes in the series. Payment in full is due by the course deadline and there are no refunds after this date. MAM requires a minimum of 6 registrants per MBI to hold class. Classes with fewer than 6 will be cancelled with options for rescheduling into open classes. In the event that the course is cancelled, you will receive a full refund of the registration fee, but refunds will not be provided for any pre-arranged transportation, accommodations or other miscellaneous expenses.
Continuing Education Credits:
Taking the MSC course as a participant is the first step in becoming an MSC teacher. MO & KS licensed mental health professionals can earn up to 24 continuing education units by participating in this course. MSC courses are offered in partnership with Self-Compassion KC & Sydney Spears, PhD who maintain responsibility for the content of the courses they teach.
Not sure which Mindfulness Based Program (MBP) is right for you? Watch our pre-recorded Intro to MBPs session to learn about the various programs and sample some of the practices.