Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is an 8-week course designed specifically for those experiencing high level stress, pain and illness. MBSR cultivates mindfulness skills and explores common and unique life-challenges within a safe, supportive group learning environment. Participants completing the course consistently report reduced physical and psychological symptoms including improvement in pain-related anxiety, depression, perception of painful sensations, improved attention and memory, and increased positive affect. MBSR is a skill building course, and although it can be therapeutic, it is not therapy. If you are interested in taking an upcoming MBSR course, you must first attend a free initial introductory session with the teacher to make sure the program is right for you.
Each participant in the course will receive:
- 20 total hours of instruction in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, which includes carefully sequenced mindfulness exercises, guided meditations, group discussions, and mindful movement
- Weekly handouts to reinforce the learning and provide support and reminders for home practice
- Weekly homework assignments
- Between session support from the teacher
- Access to all meditation audio recordings
Join us at the Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness 11100 Ash Street Suite 103 Leawood, KS 66211 for the following 2018 course offerings:
- 8 Monday evenings from 6:30-8:30 pm starting September 24th with Trained MBSR teacher Marla Herron, EdD. Half day retreat Sunday November 19th (no meeting 10/22) 10 am – 2 pm in the Peace Pod. Participants of the Monday course must attend a free phone interview to make sure the course is right for you – call 859-466-1872
- 8 Saturday afternoons from 2-4 pm starting September 29th with Qualified MBSR teacher Lisa Pinsker, MA. Half day retreat Sunday November 17th 10 am – 2 pm in the Peace Pod. Participants must attend a free introductory session (register here) prior to registering for the course Saturday September 15 from 10:30 am – 12:00 pm in the Peace Pod. If you can’t make the introductory session, please call Lisa Pinsker at 913-789-9696 to schedule an individual interview.
Payment in full is required to reserve your spot and there are no refunds after the course deadline. In the unlikely event that the course is cancelled, you will receive a full refund of the registration fee, but refunds will not be provided for any pre-arranged transportation, accommodations or other miscellaneous expenses. MBSR is offered in partnership with Marla Herron, EdD and Mindfulness Matters, LLC, who maintain responsibility for the teaching and content of this course.
Continuing Education Credits:
Taking the 8-week MBSR course is the first step in becoming an MBSR teacher. 20 continuing education credits are available for this course for MO & KS licensed mental health providers.